Do you have a lot of Freshpet dog food left over and don’t know what to do with it? You’re not alone! A lot of people are wondering if they can freeze Freshpet dog food. The good news is, you can! In this blog post, we’ll explain how to freeze Freshpet dog food so you can keep your pet well-fed without wasting any food. Keep reading to learn more!
Yes, you can freeze Freshpet dog food. The taste and texture will be unchanged, but it will last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Freshpet Dog Food?
Yes, you can freeze Freshpet dog food, but the impact on taste and texture may not be desirable. How long the food will last in the freezer depends on the type of food. Generally speaking, most Freshpet foods will last for 3-4 months in the freezer.
How To Freeze Freshpet Dog Food?
1. Before freezing, be sure to package food in airtight containers or freezer bags. This will prevent ice crystals from forming and ruining the texture of the food.
2. Place food in the freezer as soon as possible after buying it – the sooner it’s frozen, the fresher it will be.
Precautions to Take When Freezing Freshpet Dog Food
When freezing fresh dog food, always make sure to follow the proper steps to ensure that your food is properly prepared and sealed. The following list outlines the key steps you should take when preparing your food for the freezer:
1. Make sure to thaw your food in the fridge before serving. Do not thaw at room temperature or put it in the microwave:
2. Always wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling raw pet food:
3. Keep raw pet food separate from other foods, especially those that will be eaten raw such as fruits and vegetables:
4. Store raw pet food in a designated area in your fridge or freezer, preferably in a plastic container with a lid:
5. Discard any uneaten portions of raw pet food after 2-3 days.
How To Thaw Frozen Freshpet Dog Food
To thaw frozen Freshpet Dog Food, follow these steps:
1. Move the frozen food from the freezer to the refrigerator 24 hours before you plan to serve it.
2. Place the food in a bowl or on a plate to catch any drips as it thaws.
3. Once thawed, use within two days or discard.
4. Never refreeze thawed pet food.
How Long Does Freshpet Dog Food Last (Stays Fresh) Outside at Room Temperature?
According to the Freshpet website, their dog food will stay fresh for up to 7 days when stored at room temperature. However, they recommend storing it in the fridge for optimal freshness.
How Long Does Freshpet Dog Food Last (Stays Fresh) in the Fridge?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) provides the following guidelines for how long fresh and perishable foods can be stored: “Refrigerate after opening. If properly handled, unopened packages of fresh or frozen beef, pork, lamb, or veal can be stored in the freezer for 6 to 12 months. Chicken and turkey can be stored in the freezer for 9 to 12 months.”
So according to these guidelines, Freshpet dog food will last in the fridge for up to 3 days after opening. It’s always best practice to consult the specific packaging label instructions as storage times may vary depending on the type of food product.
As long as you have followed proper handling procedures and have refrigerated your Fresh
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Freshpet Dog Food?
– Give it to a friend’s pet
– Feed it to your pet’s outdoor or indoor pests like rats, raccoons, opossums, coyotes, etc.
– Use it as bait for fishing
– Mix it with your pet’s regular food as a way to slowly transition them over to the Freshpet food
– Freeze it and give it to your pet as a frozen treat
– Cook with it (see recipes below)
– Don’t waste it!