My mother came to visit me and brought me my favorite homemade quiche. I love how she makes it with ham and vegetables as filling. She gave me 2 of these egg pies, and we already consumed one. I would like to keep the other one for the next few days or weeks. Would it be okay to freeze it? How long does it take before it spoils?
Quiche is a very delightful meal to have for lunch, dinner, or to-go. The nice thing about it is that you can keep them in the freezer and save the rest for later.
A baked quiche could last for months in the freezer when stored well. You can tell when the quiche is going bad when the egg gets a harder texture, turns dark yellow, and separates. The crust also becomes soggy and you will start smelling something rotten.
Can You Freeze Quiche?
Quiche can be frozen either baked or unbaked, but it lasts longer when it is kept in the freezer baked. An unbaked quiche could last for a month, while a baked quiche could last for two months when frozen.
To extend your quiche’s shelf life, be sure to wrap it tightly in an aluminum foil and seal it in an airtight container.
You can also freeze individual slices of quiche, but this would only work if your quiche has a firm filling. Some of it could get really messy and would not freeze well if your quiche has a soggy filling.
What you need to take note of when sealing your quiche is to make sure that all the parts, including the edges, are properly covered.
When you want to use the quiche, unwrap and place it in the oven like how you normally bake it. Just add 10 to 20 minutes extra time for it to bake well.
You can refreeze the extra quiche left, just be sure to wrap it well. There is no need to thaw the quiche before reheating it.
How to Freeze Quiche?
Freezing either baked or unbaked quiche require similar procedures. The most important thing to remember is to store your quiche well so it does not absorb any other flavors in the freezer.
- For unbaked quiche, put the quiche in a baking pan with a baking sheet and freeze until it becomes firm.
- Once it is firm, remove it from the pan and wrap it in aluminum foil and then put it in an air tight container. Be sure to wrap the entire quiche with the foil.
- Label the container and then put it in the freezer.
- You do not need to thaw the quiche. You can bake it after removing it from the freezer. Taking out the wrap and adding 10 to 20 minutes to the baking time would be enough.
- Do the same process for baked quiche. When baking, remove the wrap and bake at 350 °F for 25 minutes.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Quiche?
Quiche is a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. But what do you do when you have extra quiche? Here are five delicious ways to use up your leftover quiche:
- Make a quiche sandwich – Quiche makes a great sandwich filling. Just add some slices of quiche to your favorite bread, and you’ve got a quick and easy meal that’s perfect on the go.
- Use it as a pizza topping – If you’re feeling adventurous, try using quiche as a pizza topping. The eggs and cheese in quiche make it a perfect topping for any pizza. Just give it a try!
- Make mini quiches – Mini quiches are a great appetizer or snack. Just bake your quiche in a muffin tin, and you’ve got bite-sized quiches that are perfect for any occasion.
- Make a frittata – A frittata is a type of Italian omelette that is filled with vegetables and cheese. To make a frittata, simply add some cubed quiche to an omelette along with your favorite vegetables.
- Quiche soufflé – A quiche soufflé is a light and fluffy dish that’s perfect for any meal. To make a quiche soufflé, simply combine eggs, milk, and quiche in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a soufflé dish and bake for 30 minutes.
So there you have it – five delicious ways to use up your leftover quiche. Next time you find yourself with extra quiche, try one of these recipes and enjoy!
This ham and cheese quiche is a simple yet filling meal, best shared with friends and family.
Try out this cheese, onion, egg, and broccoli quiche recipe for your kids. They’ll surely enjoy this egg pie even if there are vegetables in it.
Check out this mini quiche recipe, this would make a great snack when you’re on the go!
Yes, you can freeze quiche. Frozen quiche will last for 1-2 months in the freezer if stored properly. If you want to reheat it, you have two options: use a stovetop, or microwave oven. Freezing preserves texture which means your frozen meal will taste just as good after being heated up again. Here are the steps for freezing quiche: remove it from heat, allow it to cool down before putting in the freezer bag, make sure you push out all of the air while sealing tightly (to avoid freezer burn), store properly, and label the bag with today’s date.
Now that you know how to freeze your quiche, please share your experience with me in the comment below.