I’m sure you’ve been there before. You have a ton of food leftover from that party or dinner and you don’t know what to do with it. Well, I have the perfect solution for you! Can you freeze stuffed shells? The answer is yes, and I’m going to tell you how. Keep reading to learn more.
Yes. The shells will become a bit soggy, and the taste may be slightly affected, but they will last for about 2-3 months in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Stuffed Shells?
If you’re looking for a way to make your stuffed shells last longer, you can freeze them. However, freezing them will impact the taste and texture of the dish. The taste will be less flavorful, and the texture will be more chewy. Freezing them for two to three months is the ideal amount of time.
How To Freeze Stuffed Shells?
Cook the shells according to package directions.
Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing mix according to package directions.stuff the shells with the stuffing mix.place the stuffed shells in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze for 2 hours.Remove from the freezer and place in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cook frozen shells for 25 minutes, or until heated through.
Precautions to Take When Freezing Stuffed Shells
The best way to freeze stuffed shells is to prep them first. Follow these steps:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook the shells according to the package directions.
3. Allow the shells to cool completely.
4. Fill a large Ziploc bag with the cooked shells.
5. Seal the bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
6. To reheat, place the frozen shells in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until heated through.
How To Thaw Frozen Stuffed Shells
To thaw your frozen stuffed shells, simply follow these steps:
1. Take the frozen shells out of their packaging and place them on a plate or in a bowl.
2. Cover them with a damp paper towel or cloth.
3. Place the plate or bowl in the refrigerator and allow the shells to thaw for several hours, or overnight.
4. Once they’re thawed, cook the stuffed shells according to your recipe’s instructions. Enjoy!
How Long Does Stuffed Shells Last (Stays Fresh) Outside at Room Temperature?
Stuffed shells can last for about two hours outside at room temperature. After that, it’s best to refrigerate them. To be on the safe side, though, you should only keep them out for one hour.
How Long Does Stuffed Shells Last (Stays Fresh) in the Fridge?
The general consensus seems to be that stuffed shells will last 3-4 days in the fridge. However, it’s always best to check the food label for specifics. Additionally, it’s important to make sure that the shells are properly refrigerated and not left out at room temperature for an extended period of time. Doing so could increase the likelihood of food poisoning.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Stuffed Shells?
1. Make a casserole – layer the shells with sauce and cheese, then bake until bubbly.
2. Turn them into enchiladas – roll them up with some enchilada sauce and cheese, then bake or microwave until hot.
3. Stuff them with a spinach-artichoke mixture for a quick and easy appetizer or side dish.
4. Serve them as is as an easy weeknight dinner.
5. Freeze them for later – just pop them in the freezer, unbaked, and they’ll keep for several months.