I notice that sometimes there is leftover rice after my family eats dinner. As much as I want to avoid such wastes, it is really hard to estimate how much rice I should cook for every meal. Is it possible to keep them in the freezer and still be safe to eat a day or two after?
It is really such a waste to throw away leftover rice, considering the rigorous process it underwent before reaching our tables.
Rice should not be frozen unless it is in a freezer bag with all the air squeezed out. Doing this will keep your rice from going bad and becoming stale. To thaw it, just leave it in the refrigerator for a day or two.
Can you Freeze Rice?
Rice is a rich source of carbohydrates. It is a staple food for most cultures. Many types of rice in different colors and textures have been developed to fulfill different dietary needs and tastes of consumers.
However, sometimes, it is really hard to estimate the amount of rice to cook every meal. Rice can be easily spoiled as well that is why it is a challenge to store them away from contamination.
Rice is full of nutrients, making it a perfect refugee for bacteria and other microorganisms. Not only humans can benefit from it and this is one of the reasons that are susceptible to food poisoning.
When you have leftover rice, make sure it is quickly cooled for storage. Exposing it a room temperature for a long time encourages the multiple growths of bacteria. Put it in an airtight container then freeze.
It is said that frozen rice can be eaten within two weeks but it is highly recommended that frozen rice should be consumed within three days. Reheating should only be done only once.
More than anything else, it will always be better to avoid leftovers. Aside from you are not contributing to the tons of possible food waste, you are assured of your safety from food poisoning.
Freeze your Rice Immediately
Rice is one of the staple human foods. Almost half of the world’s population relies on rice to complete their diet and maintain their health. However, rice can easily be spoiled when not stored immediately. Below are the steps in making sure that your leftover rice can still be eaten the next day.
- Quickly cool the leftover rice. Do not expose it to room temperature for a long time because bacteria strive at such temperature. This increases the chances of rice contamination. With your gloved hands, you can gently need the rice for quick cooling.
- Once cooled down, immediately pack the leftover rice in airtight containers such as resealable bags. Make sure air is squeezed out.
- Put the leftover rice inside the freezer.
- Although you can store it for up to two weeks, it is highly recommended to consume frozen rice within three days.
- It is important to note that you can only do the reheating once.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Rice?
Rice is a staple in many cuisines around the world, and it’s a great way to bulk up a meal. But what do you do when you have extra rice? Here are five delicious ways to use up your leftover rice:
1. Make a fried rice – Fried rice is a great way to use up leftover rice. Just add in some eggs, vegetables, and soy sauce, and you’ll have a delicious and hearty meal in no time.
2. Make a rice pudding – Rice pudding is a classic dessert that’s perfect for using up leftover rice. Just add in some milk, sugar, and spices, and you’ll have a tasty treat that everyone will love.
3. Use it as a stuffing – Leftover rice can also be used as a stuffing for poultry or meat dishes. Just add it to your favorite recipe, and you’ll have a delicious and flavorful meal in no time.
4. Make a risotto – Risotto is a creamy Italian dish that’s perfect for using up leftover rice. Just add in some broth, cheese, and vegetables, and you’ll have a delicious and hearty meal in no time.
5. Make rice cakes – Rice cakes are a great way to use up leftover rice. Just add in some flour, eggs, and spices, and you’ll have a tasty snack that everyone will love.
So there you have it – five delicious ways to use up your leftover rice. Next time you find yourself with extra rice, try one of these recipes and enjoy!
Rice is so basic that you can pair it with anything! Here are some recipes that will surely aid your carbo-loading diet.
This Chinese Style Fried Rice Recipe will give you a taste of the Oriental culture. Simple and loaded with vegetables, this will totally fill your tummy.
Not so sweet but definitely one of the most satisfying desserts, this is a heavy snack and you will really feel full in your stomach.
This sushi recipe suits the vegetarian who is craving for some Japanese food. Delectable and healthy, you can never go wrong with rice and vegetables.
Yes, you can freeze rice. There are two options for freezing rice: cook first and store in a freezer bag or freeze as-is. If you want to cook the rice first, please follow these instructions: cool cooked rice completely before storing it in a freezer bag. Seal tightly and label with today’s date. Frozen rice will last for 6-8 months in the freezer. If you would like to freeze it without cooking, make sure you press out all of the air while sealing tightly (to avoid freezer burn), store properly, and label the bag with today’s date.
If you have any questions about freezing rice, please leave a comment below.