Mashed sweet potatoes are a Thanksgiving staple, but what do you do with the leftovers? Can you freeze them? Yes, you can! And they’ll taste just as good when they’re reheated. Here’s how to do it.
Happy Thanksgiving! Whether you’re hosting or attending a potluck, I’m sure mashed sweet potatoes will be on the menu. But what do you do with the leftover sweet potatoes? Can you freeze them? Yes, you can! And they’ll taste just as good when they’re reheated. Here’s how to do it.
Mashed sweet potatoes make a great side dish for any meal, so don’t let your leftovers go to waste. Just follow these simple steps.
Yes. The texture and taste will be affected, but it will last for a few months.
Mashed sweet potatoes can be frozen for 2-3 months with minimal changes to taste or texture. When reheating, you may need to add a little milk or butter, since the potatoes may become dry after freezing.
Can You Freeze Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze mashed sweet potatoes. The impact on taste will be minimal, and the impact on texture will be virtually unnoticeable. Frozen mashed sweet potatoes will last for about 3-4 months.
How To Freeze Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
-1 large sweet potato or 2 small sweet potatoes-water-salt, to tasteSteps:1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prick sweet potatoes with fork and place on baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until fork-tender. Let cool slightly.
2. Peel skin from sweet potatoes and place in food processor. Add water and salt, to taste, and blend until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time:
3. Divide mixture among 4 ice cube trays (or 12 if using smaller trays). Freeze for several hours or overnight:
4. Pop frozen cubes out of tray and store in resealable freezer bag or container.
Precautions to Take When Freezing Mashed Sweet Potatoes
When freezing mashed sweet potatoes, there are some important steps to take in order to ensure that they freeze properly and maintain their quality. The first step is to make sure that the potatoes are prepped correctly. This means peeling and dicing them into small pieces. Once they are prepped, it is important to blanch them in boiling water for a few minutes before shocking them in ice water. This will help them retain their color and texture when frozen. Finally, once they have been blanched, it is important to let them cool completely before freezing. If they are frozen while still hot, they will not freeze properly and will likely become mushy when thawed. Once they have cooled, you can package them in quart-sized freezer bags or airtight containers and freeze for up to six months.
How To Thaw Frozen Mashed Sweet Potatoes
1. Remove frozen mashed sweet potatoes from the freezer and place them in the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Spread the thawed mashed sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
How Long Does Mashed Sweet Potatoes Last (Stays Fresh) Outside at Room Temperature?
If you’re looking for a long-term storage option, freezing is your best bet. Mashed sweet potatoes will last in the freezer for up to six months. When you’re ready to eat them, simply thaw them out and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
If you’re not able to freeze them, they should last in the fridge for about four days. Just be sure to store them in an airtight container or zip-top bag so they don’t dry out.
How Long Does Mashed Sweet Potatoes Last (Stays Fresh) in the Fridge?
If it’s mashed sweet potatoes with no other ingredients, it will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. If you add butter, milk, or anything else to it, it will only last for 1-2 days because of the dairy.
To be safe, I would recommend eating it within 2 days.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
1. Make sweet potato fries – Cut the sweet potatoes into thin strips, toss with olive oil and sea salt, and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
2. Add them to your next soup or stew – Whether you’re making chicken noodle soup, beef stew, or black bean chili, cooked sweet potatoes make a delicious addition.
3. Make sweet potato pancakes – Combine 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup almond milk or cow’s milk, 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a bowl. Mix well and cook on a lightly greased griddle over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
4. Make a quick and