I have a confession to make: I love pumpkin pie. But, ever since I moved out of my parents’ house and started cooking for myself, I’ve never been able to make it perfectly. It’s always either too dry or too custardy. So, this year, I decided to buy the pre-made pumpkin pies from the grocery store. But now I’m wondering if I can freeze them… Can you freeze store-bought pumpkin pies? Let’s find out!
Yes. Pumpkin pie can be frozen without any significant impact on taste or texture. It will usually last for around 2-3 months in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Store-bought Pumpkin Pie?
If you’re looking to save some room in your freezer, you might be wondering if you can freeze store-bought pumpkin pie. The answer is yes – although freezing will impact the taste and texture of the pie. Freezing a pumpkin pie for two to three months is usually sufficient, but the quality of the pie will decrease the longer it’s stored.
How To Freeze Store-bought Pumpkin Pie?
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Remove the pie from the packaging and place it onto a baking sheet.
3. Prick the surface of the pumpkin pie several times with a fork.
4. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown in color.
5. Allow to cool completely before freezing.
6. Wrap the frozen pumpkin pie in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store in freezer for up to 2 months.
Precautions to Take When Freezing Store-bought Pumpkin Pie
With pumpkin pie being so popular this time of year, it’s no wonder that many people will buy one from the store to save time. However, there are a few things to keep in mind if you’re going to freeze store-bought pumpkin pie.
The first step is to make sure the pie is completely thawed before serving. If you try to eat it while it’s still frozen, you’ll probably end up with a mouthful of ice crystals.Another thing to keep in mind is that freezing will affect the texture of the pie. It might not be quite as fluffy and light as when it was fresh.Finally, freezing can also cause the crust to become soggy.
How To Thaw Frozen Store-bought Pumpkin Pie
To thaw a frozen store-bought pumpkin pie, you will need to take the following steps:
• Remove the pie from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
• Once it has thawed, remove it from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
Optionally, you can warm up a slice of pumpkin pie in the oven or microwave before serving. Enjoy!
How Long Does Store-bought Pumpkin Pie Last (Stays Fresh) Outside at Room Temperature?
Most store-bought pumpkin pies have a “sell by” date of two or three weeks after the pie is made. The pie will be safe to eat after that date, but it may start to dry out and the flavor may not be as good.
If you want to keep the pie for longer than the “sell by” date, put it in the freezer. The pie will be safe to eat after being frozen for about six months.
How Long Does Store-bought Pumpkin Pie Last (Stays Fresh) in the Fridge?
The shelf life of pumpkin pie will vary based on the ingredients and preparation methods used, but it will typically last between three and four days in the fridge. Pumpkin pies that include eggs and dairy will have a shorter shelf life than those made without, so be sure to check the expiration date before eating. Pumpkin pies that are stored in the freezer can last for up to six months.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Store-bought Pumpkin Pie?
* Make a pumpkin pie smoothie by blending pumpkin puree with yogurt, milk, nut butter, and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
* Add pumpkin puree to pancake or waffle batter.
* Mix pumpkin puree with mashed sweet potatoes for a delicious side dish.
* Use it in place of some of the fat when baking cookies, cakes, or pies.
* Make a pumpkin vinaigrette for salads.
A list of recipes that use up leftover store-bought pumpkin pie can be found here: [LINK]