You’ve probably heard of zoodles before – they’re the spiralized version of zucchini noodles. And like most vegetables, you can freeze them. But is it really worth it? Let’s find out. Can you freeze zoodles? YES! And here’s how… (continue on to explain the process)
Yes, you can freeze zoodles. The impact on taste and texture will be minimal, but they will last in the freezer for about 2-3 months.
Can You Freeze Zoodles?
Yes, you can freeze zoodles and they will maintain their taste and texture. However, the quality of the zoodles may degrade over time, so it’s best to eat them within a month of freezing.
How To Freeze Zoodles?
The best way to freeze zoodles is to blanch them first. To do this, fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Cut the zoodles into manageable pieces and add them to the boiling water. Cook for two minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl of ice water. Once they are cool, drain them and spread them out on a baking sheet. Freeze for one hour, then transfer to a freezer-safe bag or container.
Precautions to Take When Freezing Zoodles
When freezing zoodles, there are some important steps to take in order for them to freeze properly and not become mushy when thawed. The following is a list of prep steps to follow before freezing:
1. Wash the zucchini well and trim off the ends.
2. Use a spiralizer to create the zoodles:
3. Lay them out on a baking sheet in a single layer so they don’t freeze together:
4. Freeze for 2-3 hours, or until solid:
5. Transfer to an airtight container or bag and store in the freezer.
How To Thaw Frozen Zoodles
There are a few different ways that you can thaw frozen Zoodles so that they are safe to consume. One way is to place the frozen Zoodles in a colander and run cold water over them until they are thawed. Another way is to place the frozen Zoodles in a microwave-safe dish and heat them on the defrost setting for 1-2 minutes. Once thawed, be sure to cook the Zoodles within 24 hours.
How Long Does Zoodles Last (Stays Fresh) Outside at Room Temperature?
Zoodles last (stays fresh) outside at room temperature for a maximum of 2 hours. After that, they should be refrigerated or consumed. If zoodles are exposed to temperatures above 40 degrees Fahrenheit, bacteria will start to grow and the zoodles will become unsafe to eat.
How Long Does Zoodles Last (Stays Fresh) in the Fridge?
Zoodles will usually last around 3-4 days in the fridge. They are a safe food to eat and will not cause you to get sick, but they may start to taste a bit strange after a few days. It’s best to store them in an airtight container or bag so that they don’t get dried out.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Zoodles?
1. Frittata – mix together cooked zoodles with eggs, cheese, and your favorite fillings (ham, bacon, onion, etc.), then bake in a hot oven until set.
2. Pesto – blitz up some fresh basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil and garlic to make a delicious pesto sauce to top your zoodles with.
3. Chow Mein – sauté sliced chicken or shrimp with onions, bean sprouts and soy sauce over high heat until everything is hot and tender; stir in the cooked zoodles just before serving.
4. Pizza – top a pre-made pizza crust with Rao’s marin