If you’re like me, you hate wasting food. And often times, we end up with extra ingredients that we don’t know what to do with. For example, I had a bunch of mushrooms that were about to go bad, so I decided to slice them and put them in the freezer. But can you actually freeze sliced mushrooms? Read on to find out!
Yes, you can freeze sliced mushrooms. However, this will impact the taste and texture of the mushrooms. They will also not last as long when frozen.
Can You Freeze Sliced Mushrooms?
Sliced mushrooms can be frozen, but there is a potential impact on taste and texture. The mushrooms will last in the freezer for about four months.
How To Freeze Sliced Mushrooms?
Sliced mushrooms can be frozen for future use. There are a few simple steps to follow in order to freeze them successfully.
1. Clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth and slice them thin.
2. Spread the sliced mushrooms in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours or until solid.
3. Transfer the frozen mushrooms to a resealable plastic bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Precautions to Take When Freezing Sliced Mushrooms
When freezing sliced mushrooms, there are a few key precautions to take in order to ensure they maintain their quality and flavor. First, make sure the mushrooms are completely dry before freezing. Second, freeze them in a single layer on a baking sheet so that they don’t stick together. Once frozen, you can then place them in a freezer-safe container or bag. Finally, thaw the mushrooms before using and cook as desired.
How To Thaw Frozen Sliced Mushrooms
Step 1. Remove frozen Sliced Mushrooms from packaging
Step 2. Place frozen Sliced Mushrooms in a colander and thaw under cold running water for several minutes
Step 3. Once thawed, place the Sliced Mushrooms in a strainer and rinse with cold water to remove any excess ice crystals
Step 4. Drain the excess water off of the mushrooms by pressing down on them with a paper towel or by allowing them to sit in the strainer for a few minutes
Step 5. If desired, you can now cook or use your mushrooms as is
How Long Does Sliced Mushrooms Last (Stays Fresh) Outside at Room Temperature?
Sliced mushrooms will last for a couple of hours at room temperature. After that, they should be refrigerated or cooked. If you’re going to cook them, they can be stored in the fridge for a day or two before cooking.
How Long Does Sliced Mushrooms Last (Stays Fresh) in the Fridge?
Sliced mushrooms will stay fresh in the fridge for about four days. Make sure to keep them in a sealed container or bag so they don’t absorb any bad flavors or smells from the fridge.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Sliced Mushrooms?
1. Sauté them with onions and garlic for a quick, easy side dish.
2. Add them to an omelet or frittata.
3. Toss them into a stir-fry or pasta dish.
4. Top off some flatbread or pizza with them.
5. Make a creamy mushroom soup or stew.
6. Bake them into a savory breakfast casserole or oatmeal bake.
7. Mix them into your favorite stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving (or any time of year).
8. Use them as the basis for a healthy, meatless burger patty recipe.
9. Roast them in the oven with some olive oil and herbs