Mango is a delicious tropical fruit that is enjoyed by people all over the world. But what happens when you have too much mango and can’t eat it all? Can you freeze mango to save it for later? Keep reading to find out!
Yes, you can freeze mango. The taste and texture will be a little different after freezing, but it will still be good. It will last in the freezer for about 2-3 months.
Can You Freeze Mango?
Mangoes are a tropical fruit that is enjoyed by people all over the world. The sweet, juicy fruit can be eaten fresh or used in smoothies, sauces, and desserts. Mangoes are also often frozen for later use. Freezing mangoes does not have a significant impact on the taste of the fruit, but it can change the texture. Frozen mangoes will last for about three months.
How To Freeze Mango?
1. Start by selecting a ripe mango from the grocery store or fruit market.
2. Rinse the mango and then use a paring knife to cut off each end:
3. Slice the mango in half, long-ways, with the knife:
4. Score the inside of the mango flesh with the knife, making sure not to cut through the skin:
5. Use your fingers to gently pull back the skin of the mango, revealing the scored fruit inside:
6. Cut off each individual slice of mango and place them in a freezer-safe bag or container:
Precautions to Take When Freezing Mango
When freezing mango, there are a few key steps to take in order to ensure your fruit stays fresh and retains its flavor. First, make sure the mango is ripe and at its peak of ripeness – under-ripe fruit will not freeze well and may become mealy or grainy after defrosting.
Second, cut the mango into large chunks or slices – small pieces will freeze together and be difficult to remove once thawed. If you are using chunks, peel them before freezing to avoid having to do so later.Finally, blanch the fruit for a minute or two in boiling water (or steam it for about 5 minutes), then transfer it to a bowl of ice water. This step stops the enzymes that can cause browning and deterioration during freezing. Once cooled, place the mango in an airtight container or bag and store in the freezer.
How To Thaw Frozen Mango
There are a few different ways that you can thaw frozen mango so that it is safe to consume. One way is to simply place the frozen mango in a bowl and allow it to thaw at room temperature. This will take several hours, so plan ahead if you go this route. You can also thaw mango in the fridge, which will take about 24 hours. Finally, for a quicker option, you can place the mango in a bowl of warm water. This will thaw the fruit within an hour or so. Whichever method you choose, be sure to eat the mango within a day or two of thawing for best quality.
How Long Does Mango Last (Stays Fresh) Outside at Room Temperature?
Mangoes last 2-3 days at room temperature, but they will last up to 5 days if refrigerated.
It’s important to note that mangos bruise easily, so be gentle when handling them. Also, because of the high level of ethylene gas emitted by the fruit, it’s best not to store them near other fruits or vegetables. The ethylene gas will cause those other fruits and vegetables to spoil faster.
How Long Does Mango Last (Stays Fresh) in the Fridge?
If you want to store a mango in the fridge, it will last about two to three days.
It’s important to avoid over-ripening the fruit, so if it’s getting too soft or brown spots are starting to form, eat it sooner rather than later. For optimum freshness, store mangos at room temperature andeat them within a few days.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Mango?
1. Make a mango smoothie or smoothie bowl.
2. Add diced mango to your morning oatmeal or yogurt.
3. Make a fruit salsa with mango, pineapple, and strawberries.
4. Toss diced mango with cucumber and mint for a delicious salad.
5. Grill fresh mango slices and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
6. Puree mango and add it to your favorite cocktails or mocktails.