I had been in charge of making sandwiches for our community potluck, so I bought eight loaves of wheat bread to prepare. I think that I bought too much because after the potluck, I only managed to use three loaves to make the sandwiches and still have five loaves left all to myself. What would be the best way for me to store them so they remain fresh longer?
Bread freezes really well, so if you’re not going to be able to finish the loaf in time for freshness, put it in the freezer. When you’re ready for some toast or sandwiches again, take out what you need and leave the rest frozen until next time. It’s easy as that! Not only can you make sandwiches with it, but you can also use it to make croutons, bread crumbs, and a whole lot of other things.
Can You Freeze Bread?
Freezing bread is the most effective way of preserving it. Every single type of bread can be preserved by wrapping them and storing them in the freezer.
If you follow the instructions that will be explained later, you will be able to preserve your bread for as long as three weeks for the short-term method, and as long as six months for the long-term method.
The only downside to this method is the fact that freezing bread can make it susceptible to freezer burn, which will undo all of your efforts in saving your bread.
There are, however, ways to prevent freezer burn from happening. Make sure that you remove as much air as you can from the bread’s wrappings, and you don’t store too much in your freezer as this usually leads to a temperature increase.
Once you are ready to use your frozen bread, you can thaw it by letting it cool in your refrigerator for two hours, and then putting it in an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for four to five minutes. When you thaw the bread, make sure you put it in the middle rack.
After you have taken the bread out of the oven, let it sit on your counter for five minutes to cool.
How to Freeze Bread?
There are two ways you can preserve bread, and which method you choose will depend on how long you want to store it.
If you only want the bread to be stored for less than three weeks, you can preserve it by following these steps:
- If the bread is still warm, let it cool completely before starting. Never remove the bread from its package. This package will keep it fresh for approximately three weeks.
- Wrap your bread with freezer paper, foil, or plastic wrap.
- Place the bread in your freezer.
On the other hand, if you want to store the bread for longer than three weeks, you need to follow these steps:
- Let the bread cool first if it is still warm, and don’t take it off from its package.
- Wrap the bread in plastic wrap.
- Once wrapped, wrap it in a second layer of either freezer paper or foil.
- Write the date when you froze the bread on the wrap before you stow it in your freezer.
- You can use your bread within six months.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Bread?
Bread is a staple in many households, but what do you do when you have extra bread? Here are five delicious ways to use up your leftover bread:
1. Make croutons – Croutons are a great way to use up any extra bread you have on hand. Just cut the bread into cubes and toss with some olive oil and seasonings. Then bake in the oven until crispy.
2. Make a bread pudding – This is a great way to use up any extra bread you have on hand. Just combine the bread with some milk, eggs, sugar, and spices. Bake in the oven until set and enjoy!
3. Make French toast – This is a great way to use up any extra bread you have on hand. Just dip the bread in a mixture of eggs and milk, and then cook in a hot pan until golden brown. Serve with syrup and enjoy!
4. Make a panini – This is a great way to use up any extra bread you have on hand. Just add your favorite sandwich fillings to a slice of bread and grill in a panini press until golden and crispy.
5. Make crumbs – This is a great way to use up any extra bread you have on hand. Just process the bread in a food processor until it forms crumbs. Then use the crumbs as a topping for casseroles or as a breading for chicken or fish.
So there you have it – five delicious ways to use up your leftover bread. Next time you find yourself with extra bread, try one of these recipes and enjoy!
There are so many ways you can use your bread. You can use it to make bread cheese sticks by following this recipe:
You can also use your bread to make cheese balls if you are in the mood to make a delicious snack by following the recipe in this video:
If you want to make the usual club sandwich, you can make a batch by following the steps in this recipe:
In summary, freezing bread is a great way to preserve it and keep the loaf fresh for longer. However, you need to be careful about how long you store your frozen bread in order to avoid freezer burn.