Bananas are a great fruit to have on hand for smoothies, but they can go bad quickly.
The solution is simple – freeze them! Freezing bananas will allow you to store them for up to 6 months and enjoy their delicious taste in your favorite recipes all year long.
To freeze bananas, simply peel the banana and cut it into slices or chunks before placing it in an airtight container or baggie. You can also use freezer bags if you prefer not having any leftover pieces of plastic in your home. When ready to eat, just thaw the banana by leaving it at room temperature until soft enough to mash with a fork or put through a blender.
Can you freeze bananas?
If you are looking for ways to save money, freezing bananas is one way that can help. When they are in season and on sale, buy them in bulk so you’ll have plenty of frozen banana chunks or mashed banana to enjoy year-round. It’s also easy enough for kids to do it themselves!
You can choose to freeze whole fruits or mash them first. You can freeze just ripe or slightly overripe bananas. The best ones to freeze are bananas that are starting to turn overripe. The flavor at this point is at its best. By freezing, you stop the ripening process while preserving the full, strong, sweetest banana flavor.
The flavor does not change when you freeze bananas. The texture, however, may not be as firm as fresh bananas. The banana can turn mushy as it thaws. The best way to enjoy frozen bananas is by mixing into frozen confections like smoothies or ice cream. You may thaw them and use them in baking, too.
How to freeze bananas
You can choose to peel bananas before freezing them whole or with their peel on.
Freezing whole bananas
- Peel or remove the peel, it’s your choice. Peeled bananas last about a month longer than frozen bananas with the peel on. Frozen peeled bananas lasts about 3-4 months. Unpeeled ones last for 2 months.
- Wash the banana if keeping the peel.
- Place on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid, about 30 minutes or so.
- Place in a sealable freezer-safe bag.
Freezing banana chunks
- Slice bananas in even chunks.
- Arrange on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for 2 hours, until solid.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container.
- Freeze until ready to use.
- This can keep for 3-4 months.
Freezing mashed bananas
- Peel bananas and mash to desired consistency.
- Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice for every cup of mashed bananas.
- Mix well.
- Place in sealable freezer-safe containers.
- This can keep solid for 4 months.
Frozen Banana Recipes
You can enjoy frozen bananas in numerous ways. You can use them while frozen solid or you can thaw them before cooking.
Frozen Banana Smoothie
Enjoy a refreshing nutritious treat by adding frozen bananas instead of ice, like in this recipe. Frozen bananas also add creaminess to this drink.
Frozen Banana Ice Cream
You can enjoy ice cream without worrying about added calories from dairy ingredients or added sugar. This one is definitely healthy and delicious.
Frozen bananas can be used for baking warm breads and delicious muffins, too. Thaw frozen slightly overripe bananas before baking.
Freezing bananas is a great way to save money and ensure you always have access to healthy snacks that are available year-round. Frozen mashed bananas with lemon juice last much longer than other methods of preservation so it’s definitely worth considering if you’re looking to extend the shelf life. How does your family like their frozen bananas? Let us know by leaving a comment below!