Baked potatoes are a simple and hearty meal that can satisfy those looking to warm up with a quick dinner. Yet, they leave you wondering if you should freeze them and how long will they last in the freezer? With such a struggle between wanting to enjoy an easy meal and knowing when they have gone bad, we seek the answer: Can You Freeze Baked Potatoes?
Baked potatoes are a tasty meal, but they require a lot of time to prepare. The good thing about them is that you can freeze them for a while.
Baked potatoes could last for months in the freezer, and freezing them is really easy. All you have to do is wrap them in foil and put them in air-tight freezer bags, seal well, and then you’re ready to toss them in the freezer.
The shelf life of a baked potato can range from 5-7 days in the refrigerator to 6-8 months if frozen. If you’re looking for an easy way to store your potatoes, we recommend freezing them and taking out one or two at a time as needed. You’ll want to make sure they are wrapped up tightly (or put into airtight containers) so that any moisture doesn’t affect their taste and texture.
Can you Freeze Baked Potatoes?
Baked potatoes can last for 5-7 days in the refrigerator, and could be kept for 6-8 months in the freezer.
When potatoes are frozen for a long, the taste and texture of the potato change. It is best to use the baked potatoes within a month for the best results.
You can tell when your baked potatoes have gone bad if they start to show some discoloration or if they start to smell sour.
It is highly suggested to freeze baked potatoes in an air-tight freezer bag to prevent them from absorbing moisture and other contaminants from the surrounding items in the freezer.
It is also recommended to freeze baked potatoes in separate bags depending on the amount you intend to use to avoid constant freezing and thawing.
When defrosting baked potatoes, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. If you were not able to plan to use them ahead, you can thaw them through the microwave.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Baked Potatoes?
Baked potatoes are a classic side dish that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. But what do you do when you have extra baked potatoes? Here are five delicious ways to use up your leftover baked potatoes:
1. Make a potato salad – This is a great way to use up any extra potatoes you have on hand. Just add them to a bowl with some other favorite salad ingredients, and you’ll have a delicious and healthy dish in no time.
2. Make twice-baked potatoes – This is a great way to give your baked potatoes a little extra flavor. Just add some cheese and bacon bits to the potatoes before baking them for a second time.
3. Use them as toppings for soup – Baked potatoes make a great addition to soup. Just add them to your favorite soup recipe, and you’ll have a hearty and filling meal in no time.
4. Make a potato hash – This is a great way to use up any extra potatoes you have on hand. Just add them to a skillet with some onions and peppers, and you’ll have a delicious and healthy dish in no time.
5. Make roasted potato wedges – This is a great way to use up any extra potatoes you have on hand. Just cut them into wedges, drizzle with olive oil, and bake in a preheated oven until golden brown.
So there you have it – five delicious ways to use up your leftover baked potatoes. Next time you find yourself with extra potatoes, try one of these recipes and enjoy!
How to Freeze Baked Potatoes?
Freezing baked potatoes is a simple process with minimal requirements. All you need to prepare is an air-tight freezer bag, some aluminum foil, and a baking sheet.
- Bake the potatoes. It is highly suggested to bake them plain and add the toppings when reheating.
- After baking, let the potatoes cool on a baking sheet.
- Individually wrap the cooled potatoes in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Make sure that they have been completely wrapped and is not exposed to air or moisture.
- Pack the wrapped potatoes in an airtight freezer bag. Let all the air out and then seal the bag well.
- Label the bag with the date you baked the potatoes and then place it in the freezer.
Baked Potatoes Recipes
This Hasselback Potatoes recipe would make a perfect snack to serve for your friends coming over. See the recipe here:
The classic baked potato recipe will always be something that your kids will love. Find out more about it here:
Recreate this delicious breakfast meal for your family. Check out this Twice Baked Potato with Egg on Top recipe here:
Yes, you can freeze baked potatoes. Frozen baked potatoes will last for 6-8 months in the freezer if stored properly. Follow these steps: Use a paper towel to remove moisture from it and let it dry out on your kitchen counter for an hour or two before putting it in the freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible, label with today’s date, and place all of them in a single layer inside the freezer bag and seal tightly.
Now that you know how to freeze your baked potatoes, don’t forget to share your experience with me by leaving a comment below.