I bought packs of American cheese for a grilled cheese burger party with my friends. I have lots of leftovers and decided to put it in the freezer. The problem is, there is a label in the package “do not freeze”. Do I have to preserve it in another way? Or freezing it would be alright?
Many people don’t know if American cheese can be frozen. The reason is that sometimes, manufacturers will say avoid freezing it resulting in to confusion. It is frustrating to go out every time you need American cheese or any cheese. But can you really freeze American cheese?
The truth is, you can freeze American cheese. The only reason why they say don’t freeze it is because the texture of the cheese might change; making it less appetizing.
Can you freeze American cheese?
Freezing food is the best way to preserve it. Although refrigerating cheese is more preferred, almost all types of cheese can be frozen. For American cheese, an unopened package can be frozen until 3 months.
The only downside of freezing cheese is the texture of it when thawed. It will be crumbly when sliced. But since American cheese is processed, it will not crumble easily.
Another downside of freezing cheese is that the wrapper will be harder to remove. But since American cheese is already wrapped individually, it will be a lot easier to prepare when cooking.
If you decide to freeze cheese, you’d have to defrost it properly to retain its creamy texture and reduce the chance of it crumbling. Just tightly wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Now if you don’t want to go all through this trouble, you can just put in the refrigerator. But be cautious because it will only last for a month after the date the cheese was processed which can be found on the package.
Another way to preserve it is to just put on your shelf. American cheese is processed so it has a longer shelf life than other types of cheese.
How to freeze American cheese
Now if you really need to put American cheese in the freezer to save shelf and refrigerator space, here is how:
- Take off the wrap so it will not stick when opened.
- If the cheese is not individually wrapped in the package, slice the cheese into blocks. The proportion should not be more than ½ pounds.
- Place the blocks of cheese in a freezer bag. You could also grate it before freezing.
- To thaw, do not put it in room temperature immediately from the freezer. Put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours or until unfrozen.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover American Cheese?
American cheese is a type of cheese that is made from a blend of milk, cream, and salt. It’s mild in flavor and has a smooth, creamy texture. American cheese is often used in sandwiches and burgers, but it can also be used in a variety of other dishes. Here are five delicious ways to use up your leftover American cheese:
- Make macaroni and cheese – One of the most classic ways to use American cheese is in macaroni and cheese. Just add it to cooked noodles with some milk and butter, and you’ll have a delicious and comforting dish in no time.
- Make a grilled cheese sandwich – Another great way to use American cheese is in a grilled cheese sandwich. Just add it to bread with some butter, and you’ll have a delicious and easy meal in no time.
- Make a quesadilla – American cheese is also great in quesadillas. Just add it to a tortilla with some other fillings, and you’ll have a tasty and easy meal in no time.
- Make a cheese dip – American cheese can also be used to make a delicious dip for chips or crackers. Simply melt the cheese with some milk and spices, and you’ll have a tasty snack that everyone will love.
- Make a cheesecake – Yes, you can even use American cheese to make a cheesecake! Just add it to cream cheese with some sugar and eggs, and you’ll have a delicious and easy dessert in no time.
So there you have it – five delicious ways to use up your leftover American cheese. Next time you find yourself with extra cheese, try one of these recipes and enjoy!
American cheese Recipes
You could use American cheese for making everyone’s favorite, the grilled cheese sandwich. It is easy to do and deliciously simple.
You could also make Cherry tomatoes on cheese toast. The combination of the sweetness of tomatoes and creaminess of the cheese makes it a great boost in the morning.
If you want to make a perfect dinner for your family, you could also make a cheesy macaroni. The combination of pasta and cheese creates a mouthful of goodness.
You can freeze American cheese if you want to try to extend its shelf life. It will be crumbly when sliced but it’s still edible and doesn’t need any other special preservation process. We hope these tips help extend your food storage time so you don’t waste anything again! Leave a comment below with any additional questions or concerns – I am here to answer them for you.