I love having a glass of smoothie after working out. But I only insert my workouts in between my hectic schedule and so making smoothie every time takes me a lot of time. I want to make a whole batch of smoothies instead. Can I just freeze the rest?
Fruits and yogurt as a common ingredient to smoothies contain natural sugars, protein and fat that will help replace and bring back lost carbs and glycogen levels in your body and even reduces inflammation. So you decided to make a batch of smoothies to save time and store them in the freezer until your next workout.
Good news is, you can freeze your smoothie! But you further question yourself: What will happen to its smooth, creamy consistency after freezing? What other ways can I preserve my smoothie?
Freezing Your Smoothies
Freezing a batch smoothies in advance is not only convenient but also a life-saver (of the extra fruits and vegetables you kept in the fridge for a long time).
After a long run, smoothies brings your body a lot of benefits. Once you made a batch of smoothies, just freeze them for the next drink.
Frozen smoothies will not change the flavour and the consistency of your drink (that is, if you blend them really smooth and freeze them a relatively short time).
It will still give you the nutrients you need from the vegetables and fruits you put in the blender together as your smoothie ingredient.
However, if you plan to freeze them a longer time, you will notice that the mixture and the juice separates and it will give you a funky flavoured chunk and a bland juice.
Smoothies once frozen will be at its best for about 2 to 3 days. Beyond that will be alright, but you may notice some changes in flavour and consistency depending on the ingredients you used.
How to Freeze Smoothies
There are simple and fancy ways to freeze your smoothies based on your creativity. If you plan the most common way to do it, there will also be guidelines on how to do it properly.
If you plan to do the simple way:
- Make your smoothie with your favourite ingredients. Remember to blend them smooth and creamy (and yummy!)
- Pour the smoothies you want to store in a freezer-friendly container. Save an extra inch because smoothies tend to rise and expand while freezing.
- Put the lid of your container and seal tight. This will help limit oxidation and to keep the fruits and vegies fresh.
- Put it in the freezer.
- Pull it out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator overnight before drinking.
- Don’t forget to stir it well first! (Consume in 3 days)
A fancy way to freeze smoothies:
- Prepare your favourite ingredients and make a whole batch of smoothie.
- Prepare an ice cube tray.
- Pour the smoothie into the tray to make small batches of smoothie-cubes.
- Place the tray in the freezer.
This method is best when consumed the next day or two. You can toss the cubes in a glass and thaw it before drinking. You can also pull them out of the tray, straight in your mouth as a smoothie-cube snack slash dessert!
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Smoothies?
Smoothies are a delicious and healthy way to start your day. But what do you do when you have extra smoothies? Here are five delicious ways to use up your leftover smoothies:
1. Pour them into popsicle molds – Leftover smoothies make great popsicles! Just pour them into popsicle molds and freeze for a refreshing and healthy treat.
2. Make smoothie ice cubes – Smoothie ice cubes are a great way to add some extra flavor and nutrition to your water or other beverages. Simply pour your leftover smoothie into an ice cube tray and freeze. Then, add the cubes to your water or other drinks for an instant flavor boost.
3. Use them as a base for oatmeal – Oatmeal is a great way to start your day. But sometimes it can be a little bland. To add some extra flavor and nutrition to your oatmeal, try using leftover smoothie as a base. Simply combine your desired amount of oatmeal with some leftover smoothie, and you’ll have a delicious and healthy breakfast in no time.
4. Make smoothie pancakes – Leftover smoothie pancakes are a great way to use up your extra smoothies. Simply combine equal parts pancake mix and smoothie, and cook as you would regular pancakes. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
5. Pour them into an ice cream maker – If you have an ice cream maker, you can turn your leftover smoothies into delicious and healthy ice cream. Simply pour your smoothie into the ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. You’ll have a delicious and healthy treat in no time!
So there you have it – five delicious ways to use up your leftover smoothies. Next time you find yourself with extra smoothies, try one of these recipes and enjoy!
Recipes for Your Smoothies
Smoothies come in different colors and flavors. One of the favorites is the blueberry smoothie. Its sweet and sour flavour can definitely satisfy your cravings.
Another favourite is chocolate smoothie. The cocoa will help you with your sugar cravings and a chocolate smoothie is no doubt an energy booster.
One of the many favorites as well, is the banana-yogurt smoothie. One can never be less healthy without this simple blend of a refreshing creamy smoothie.
Yes, you can freeze smoothies. Frozen smoothies will last for 1-2 months in the freezer if stored properly. Freezing also preserves taste which means your frozen meal will taste just as good after being heated up again. Here are some things I would recommend you keep in mind when freezing smoothies: remove all of the air by using a straw to suck it out before sealing tightly, store properly, and label the bag with today’s date.
Now that you know how to freeze your smoothie mix, please share your experience with me in the comment below!