Did you know that plums can be frozen? If you have extra plums, don’t let them go to waste. Read on to learn how to properly freeze them. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is!
Yes, you can freeze plums. The taste and texture will be slightly affected, but they will last for a few months in the freezer.
The taste of frozen plums won’t be as sweet as fresh plums, but the flavor will still be there. The texture of frozen plums will be a little more mushy than fresh plums, but they will still hold their shape well. They will last for 2-3 months in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Plums?
Can you freeze plums? Yes, you can freeze plums, but there is a caveat: the taste and texture of the fruit may be affected. Freezing plums for about two months is usually sufficient. However, if you plan to keep them frozen for an extended period of time, it is best to consult with a food scientist to determine the impact on taste and texture.
How To Freeze Plums?
1. Choose ripe plums with no blemishes or bruises.
2. Wash the plums and remove the stems.
3. Cut the plums into quarters or eighths, depending on their size.
4. If you are going to freeze them without sugar, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours.
5. Transfer the frozen plums to a plastic bag or container and return to the freezer.
6. If you are going to freeze them with sugar, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar per quart of plums. Freeze for 2 hours.
7. Transfer the frozen plums to a plastic bag or container and return to the freezer.
Precautions to Take When Freezing Plums
When you are ready to freeze plums, take the following precautions:
1. Wash the plums thoroughly in cool water.
2. Remove any stems or pits.
3. Cut the plums into small pieces, if desired.
4. Place the plums in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours or until firm:
5. Transfer the frozen plums to a resealable bag or container and return to the freezer.
How To Thaw Frozen Plums
To thaw frozen plums, you will need to set them out at room temperature for a few hours before use. If you are in a hurry, you can place them in the fridge, but be aware that they may not reach their desired level of sweetness if thawed this way.
Some tips on using plums:
– Plums are a great addition to smoothies or yogurt bowls.
– They can also be used in jams, sauces, or baked goods.
– For a quick and healthy snack, try slicing up some fresh plums and eating them plain or with a little bit of honey or almond butter.
How Long Does Plums Last (Stays Fresh) Outside at Room Temperature?
Plums can last for several days to a week when stored at room temperature. If you want them to last longer, you can store them in the fridge. Either way, make sure to keep an eye on them and eat them as soon as they start to look overripe.
How Long Does Plums Last (Stays Fresh) in the Fridge?
Plums will stay fresh in the fridge for around two weeks. When storing plums, be sure to keep them away from other fruits and vegetables, as they emit ethylene gas which can cause these other foods to spoil prematurely. Ethylene gas is also used commercially to ripen fruit, so if you’re trying to speed up the ripening process of plums, you can place them in a paper bag with an apple or banana.
How To Use Up Extra/Leftover Plums?
There are many ways to use up extra/leftover plums. Here are a few ideas:
– Make plum jam or jelly.
– Make a plum crumble or tart.
– Use them to make a smoothie or milkshake.
– Bake them into a cake or pie.
– Stew them and serve over ice cream or yogurt.
– Add them to your morning oatmeal or cereal.