My kids don’t agree much on snacks, but they all love homemade cheese crackers! I make these yummy treats using Velveeta cheese because it tastes a whole lot better than the other kinds of cheese. Just recently, it went on sale at the supermarket so I bought several boxes. How do I properly store all these Velveeta cheese?
Velveeta cheese has that soft and creamy texture that we all love on our crackers. When melted, Velveeta cheese is smooth and thick, without the annoying clumps made by other types of cheese. It’s the best choice to spread on snacks and appetizers.
Kraft Foods, the company that produces Velveeta cheese, does not recommend freezing their product to avoid any changes in its quality. However, you can opt to freeze Velveeta cheese properly so that it won’t degrade. Other people suggest keeping it in the refrigerator for preservation instead.
Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese?
To completely preserve the quality of Velveeta cheese, Kraft Food discourages consumers from freezing the cheese. Crystals may form within the product, producing a grainy texture.
Freezing Velveeta cheese also causes separation of the water and fat components of the cheese. This will give the cheese a rather mushy texture and a lopsided shape.
Without the appropriate storage procedure, frozen Velveeta cheese will come out dry and hard, making it difficult to use. Odors may also affect the cheese inside the freezer.
After thawing, frozen Velveeta cheese will gather moisture on its top surface. The flavor of Velveeta cheese will also be compromised, especially when it is not wrapped properly.
Another option to store Velveeta cheese is to simply place it inside the refrigerator instead of the freezer. Make sure to follow the instructions printed on the container of the product.
If you’ve already heated the Velveeta cheese and you end up with a large amount of leftovers, you can use it as a sauce or topping for various dishes.
How to Freeze Velveeta Cheese
For situations when you have to freeze Velveeta cheese, it is important to follow proper storage procedure. This minimizes the negative effects of freezing on the cheese product.
- First, remove the Velveeta cheese from its packaging, as it is not suitable for freezing.
- Next, cover the cheese completely with plastic wrap. Make sure to have two layers of wrap to avoid making the cheese hard and dry.
- Place the wrapped Velveeta cheese inside a freezer bag or a freezer-safe container.
- Remove any excess air inside the container, and close tightly.
- For best results, place the cheese at the back of the freezer where the temperature is cooler.
- To thaw the cheese, move it from the freezer into the refrigerator and defrost overnight.
- Gently melt the cheese over low heat then use with two days of thawing.
- Make sure not to refreeze Velveeta cheese that’s already been defrosted, as it could cause harmful effects.
Velveeta Cheese Recipes
For a classic family dish, go with this Macaroni and Velveeta Cheese recipe. Take Mac and Cheese to a new level with the creamy and melty Velveeta cheese sauce.
Sneak in some greens using this Cheesy Broccoli recipe. It’s a fun and easy dish to make – perfect for a healthy snack or side dish!
Make a Cheesy Chicken Casserole for some comfort food that’s delicious and filling! Velveeta cheese is the perfect ingredient to perk up a tired or hungry kid.