I love having a glass of smoothie after working out. But I only insert my workouts in between my hectic schedule and so making smoothie every time takes me a lot of time. I want to make a whole batch of smoothies instead. Can I just freeze the rest?
Fruits and yogurt as a common ingredient to smoothies contain natural sugars, protein and fat that will help replace and bring back lost carbs and glycogen levels in your body and even reduces inflammation. So you decided to make a batch of smoothies to save time and store them in the freezer until your next workout.
Good news is, you can freeze your smoothie! But you further question yourself: What will happen to its smooth, creamy consistency after freezing? What other ways can I preserve my smoothie?
Freezing Your Smoothies
Freezing a batch smoothies in advance is not only convenient but also a life-saver (of the extra fruits and vegetables you kept in the fridge for a long time).
After a long run, smoothies brings your body a lot of benefits. Once you made a batch of smoothies, just freeze them for the next drink.
Frozen smoothies will not change the flavour and the consistency of your drink (that is, if you blend them really smooth and freeze them a relatively short time).
It will still give you the nutrients you need from the vegetables and fruits you put in the blender together as your smoothie ingredient.
However, if you plan to freeze them a longer time, you will notice that the mixture and the juice separates and it will give you a funky flavoured chunk and a bland juice.
Smoothies once frozen will be at its best for about 2 to 3 days. Beyond that will be alright, but you may notice some changes in flavour and consistency depending on the ingredients you used.
How to Freeze Smoothies
There are simple and fancy ways to freeze your smoothies based on your creativity. If you plan the most common way to do it, there will also be guidelines on how to do it properly.
If you plan to do the simple way:
- Make your smoothie with your favourite ingredients. Remember to blend them smooth and creamy (and yummy!)
- Pour the smoothies you want to store in a freezer-friendly container. Save an extra inch because smoothies tend to rise and expand while freezing.
- Put the lid of your container and seal tight. This will help limit oxidation and to keep the fruits and vegies fresh.
- Put it in the freezer.
- Pull it out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator overnight before drinking.
- Don’t forget to stir it well first! (Consume in 3 days)
A fancy way to freeze smoothies:
- Prepare your favourite ingredients and make a whole batch of smoothie.
- Prepare an ice cube tray.
- Pour the smoothie into the tray to make small batches of smoothie-cubes.
- Place the tray in the freezer.
This method is best when consumed the next day or two. You can toss the cubes in a glass and thaw it before drinking. You can also pull them out of the tray, straight in your mouth as a smoothie-cube snack slash dessert!
Recipes for Your Smoothies
Smoothies come in different colors and flavors. One of the favorites is the blueberry smoothie. Its sweet and sour flavour can definitely satisfy your cravings.
Another favourite is chocolate smoothie. The cocoa will help you with your sugar cravings and a chocolate smoothie is no doubt an energy booster.
One of the many favorites as well, is the banana-yogurt smoothie. One can never be less healthy without this simple blend of a refreshing creamy smoothie.