I have been busy with my work lately, so much that I keep rushing in the kitchen every morning just to prepare my breakfast. I wonder if I can cook some eggs in advance and freeze them for weeks or months so I can just microwave them later. Is freezing cooked eggs even feasible?
Eggs usually undergo some textural changes during the freezing process, but these changes may depend on the way they are prepared and frozen.
Cooked eggs freeze well when they are scrambled or incorporated in recipes such as casseroles. Best quality is retained for a maximum of 2-3 months after baking if stored in high-quality containers or polythene bags. Hard-cooked or boiled eggs are not recommended for freezing because egg whites tend to get rubbery when frozen.
Can You Freeze Cooked Eggs
Not all proteins are created equal. That’s why refrigeration up to a week is the only recommended storage for intact, cooked eggs – to be fair for both the yolk and the egg white contents.
Do not freeze hardboiled eggs unless you have a peculiar taste for tough and watery egg whites. But then, you may get a bit creative with the problematic egg whites by slicing and toasting them for a crunchy egg salad sandwich.
You may also discard the egg whites and freeze just the yolks. The yolks may be scooped out from the peeled eggs to be frozen; they won’t suffer any major textural issues after thawing.
Thaw the frozen cooked eggs in the fridge for at least 8 hours before using. You can reheat them either in a skillet or through a microwave.
Scrambled eggs are best for freezing especially when half-cooked. The egg whites and yolks are mixed together and remain soft even after freezing.
Frozen scrambled eggs must be reheated in low heat. Defrosting is unnecessary, as they may thaw beautifully if placed in the microwave or tossed in another recipe such as sandwiches.
How to Freeze Cooked Eggs
Cooked eggs in the freezer work great for bustling morning people. For a no-hassle nutritious breakfast, cook your eggs ahead of time and freeze them with the following storage tips:
- For hardboiled eggs, choose to freeze matured eggs (Because fresh eggs are hard to peel)
- Boil the eggs until thoroughly cooked; do not overcook or make them runny by undercooking
- Separate the cooked egg yolks from the whites
- For scrambled eggs, you may undercook them for reheating later
- Portion the scrambled eggs in muffin tin for individual serving sizes
- Freeze them initially for 4 hours until solid enough
- Once frozen, cover each serving with double layer of plastic wrap for additional protection against freezer burn
- Store the individually wrapped frozen cooked eggs in large airtight containers or freezer bags
- Label the containers with the date the cooked eggs are frozen
- Seal and freeze
Cooked Eggs Recipes
Healthy Boiled Eggs Masala recipe is a creative way to add vegetables and chili flavor to your plain eggs. Since this is a typical Indian recipe, onions, of course, are ought not to be forgotten.
Boiled Egg Sandwich contains less cholesterol. The boiled eggs in this simple breakfast recipe are chopped into tiny pieces and blended with spices, thickened by mayo and held together by two toasted loaves.
Egg Muffins are great for leftover foods. With this recipe, you’ll put any mix of meat, vegetables, cheese and spices into muffin tins and pour the whisked eggs into them. The result is a wonderfully baked dish in cupcake shapes.