My friend told me about substituting rice with cauliflowers for her diet. Somehow, I got interested, and was disappointed to realize that cauliflower rice or couscous is too costly to substitute anything for regular meals. But I’d like to know if cauliflowers can freeze well. I’d like to have them longer in the kitchen for my recipes.
Cauliflowers are expensive when they are not in season. With freezer storage, stocking up as the prices fall may provide you with a steady supply for several months.
Compared to other storage types, studies show that the color, flavor and texture of the stalks and curds of cauliflowers are kept better in freezing conditions. The maximum freezer storage should be 90 days at a stable temperature of -18 degree Celsius. Cauliflowers must be contained in airtight freezer bags. No need to blanch.
Can You Freeze Cauliflower
The key to successfully freezing any food with high water content such as vegetables is to store them in polythene bags or vapor-proof containers.
Do not wrap any vegetable with cling wrap films as it will lead to faster spoilage by accumulating excessive moisture during the freezing process.
Release any air by applying pressure to the bag. Better yet, use a vacuum sealer to draw out all air and prevent moisture buildup or crystallization.
Cauliflowers freeze beautifully. For a maximum of 3 months, the curds may remain white and firm while the stalks stay green and attached to the curds.
It is easy to tell if cauliflowers have gone bad. If the curds fall apart or there is reduction in weight and changes in color, then the cauliflowers are no good at all.
You can use the frozen cauliflowers directly in any cooked recipe. For other purposes, you may thaw them by stir-frying or by reheating in the microwave.
How to Freeze Cauliflower
Cauliflowers freeze best when they are raw and at their freshest peak. Make sure that they frozen under the right conditions with the following storage guidelines:
- Choose to freeze the ones that are tight, dense and white on the heads
- Rinse off any dirt under running water
- In a bowl, prepare a salt solution of 1 tbs. for every cup of water
- Cut the cauliflower into 1-inch sizes and soak them in the salt solution to remove insects
- Wash away any remaining salt under cool, running water
- Allow them to dry completely over a paper towel
- Spread the pieces on a tray or pan in a single layer and freeze for up to 3 hours until solid
- Once frozen, put them piece by piece into heavy-duty freezer bags or airtight containers
- Label the bags or containers with the date the cauliflowers are frozen, seal them tight and freeze
This Skillet Cauliflower recipe is all cauliflower, seared a little bit on medium heat. It is sautéed with garlic and carrots, added with lemon and seared again until crunchy enough.
Creamy Cauliflower recipe is a leafy version of potato au gratin, or perhaps more like baked Macaroni and Cheese. Cream cheese is mixed beautifully with cheddar for a cheesy cauliflower bite.
Roasted Cauliflower recipe brings out the full flavor and sweetness of caramelized cauliflowers. The heavenly taste is intensified with soy sauce, lemon juice, smoked paprika and some spice.